I spent the day making lefse yesterday. It is quite a process, and I do like it. It's a very reflective process for me. It's one of the things that truly ties me to my Norweigian heritage and I like that. I think about all of my family members who have spent time making the same lefse that I make. My dad taught me to make it (via the phone), My granmda taught him to make it, her mother taught her, and her mother taught her. I imagine what it was like making lefse without the conveniences of today. I imagine the lefse being kept for lutefisk, and stored in the attic all year.
When I first started making it four years ago, I would call my grandma for advice on how to get it just right. I still don't have it perfected yet, but I feel like this year I did the best job of rolling it out.
The recipe needs 10 cups of flour! My entire kitchen, (and Me!) is covered in flour by the end of the process.
I found it kind of funny that I was talking to my friend on speaker phone while I was making it yesterday, it defintiley evolved the nostalgia a bit!
Lefse making is done for the year!
No comments:
Post a Comment