Friday, August 14, 2009

The Camping Low Down




Jill and I decided to take the kids camping. Paul set up the trailer for us, and we headed out there on Monday morning. Kaelyn has never been camping, and Kathryn hasn't been for a very long time. I loved camping growing up, and I was excited to take the girls.

We hiked a few trails, played on the playground, and rode bikes. It was definitetly a typical camping trip...at least it started out that way!

Erica came up and joined us in the afternoon, and the kids were excited to take her on the trails. Well, as Erica joined us, we headed out for another hike, just as it began to rain...oh lovely!

Jill decided to encourage the girls to walk on the fallen logs like a balance beam. They were doing great! They balanced well, and were cruising along.

On the second set of logs, we started to hear horrid screaming. The kind you never want to hear! Avery started running along the log batting and screaming! Oh no! BEES!

Before long, Kathryn joined into the screaming match. As they got closer to us, Jill pulled off their coats, and we saw them swarmed with bees. Avery's hair was covered, and we ended up stripping them both down to remove the bees from their clothes.

Jill is somewhat allergic, so when she got stung in the neck a few times, we were all a little worried. (Besides the fact that all of our kids were now screaming!)

Jill started running back to camp with the kids. Erica and I followed with Tate and the baby.

I realized at that point that I was being stung too, and Quinn screamed in pain as well!

We headed back to the campsite, and began hosing down the girls, and passing out Motrin and Benadryl.

As we observed everyone for reactions, and batted away the wayward bees that had hijacked a ride back with us, it started to pour. At this point, it was dinner time.

Erica to the rescue! She b.b.q'd our Shish ka bobs, and started us a fire. Quite a feat in pouring rain! (But you can't miss out on smores when you're camping!)

About this time I noticeed my lovely tent. I hadn't set the thing up in over ten years. Jill and I had some good laughs as we tries to get the crazy thing to stand up straight. This became an undertaking not easiy accomplished! I walked over to try to drain some of the water off of it. (Remember, it's POURING!)

At this point we decide to move the tent up near the trailer where there was better tree coverage. This helped a little bit, but I can tell you that tent was already pretty wet when Kathyrn, the puppy and I climbed in for the night!

We listened to the patter of the rain for a good 12 hours that night, and woke up at
6:00 with it still raining steadily.

At this point, we made the decision to pack out for the day, figuring we'd had enough excitement camping in the past 24 hours!

Whew...camping!

See the pictures from the Smilebox on the previous post!

1 comment:

Julie said...

well- you certainly won't forget this trip any time soon! i had a good laugh- though i'm sure it wasn't funny at the time!