Saturday, July 21, 2012

"The Honeymoon!"

Today we officially entered "The Honeymoon".  We were warned of this process in the hospital, and even with that warning, it hasn't made the last couple of days any easier.

Diabetes is a roller coaster of emotions.  It is DEFINITELY a constantly changing disease that sends us up and down figuratively and in actuality.  Kaelyn's pancreas has decided it would wake up again.  In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas is about 80-90% damaged at the time of diagnosis.  Often, people will have a time where they need less insulin than before, and this is called the honeymoon period.  During this time, Kaelyn's body is producing some insulin again.

Well, for Kaelyn, this has come about rather suddenly. In the past three days, she has not needed any insulin to cover the carbs in her food.  This may sound like GREAT News, and I guess in some ways it is. 

But...

I like routine.  I like to follow the rules.  And what I'm learning in this process is that diabetes doesn't really follow the rules.  Kaelyn is now running very low, and we're adjusting her morning Lantus dose to see if we can even her Blood Glucose levels out again.  Lows are scary to me at this point.  Especially at night.  She is pretty good at monitoring them during the day, but at night it's hard for all of us.

This honeymoon may last for a few days, a few months, or maybe even up to a year!  They warned us in the hospital that there would be days where we would think maybe she was misdiagnosed, maybe she's cured.  I have to admit those thoughts have surfaced in the last two days.  God could heal her.  I know that, but I also know that at this time there is not medical cure for diabetes.  I can tell you this has become our prayer! 

At this time, Kaelyn may suddenly need more insulin again, or she may not need any or very much for a while. 

We are just getting the process of giving insulin, testing levels, figuring out corrections and figuring out the insulin needed to cover the carbs she is eating.  This process alone has changed 6 times in the two and half weeks since she was diagnosed.  (Not a good fact for a routine person like me!)

Now, she's running low, waking up low, and we aren't sure if this is a temporary time frame, or if this will be another new normal for a while.

We know that eventually her pancreas will stop producing insulin completely.  This is the sad reality of Type 1.  This is why we need a cure.

Until then, we will try to embrace each moment as it comes, and pray that we have the knowledge and flexibility to adapt to another change.  For today, we're thankful for less shots, and hopeful that her numbers will be more even again. 

Kaelyn is easy going, and adaptable.  I guess I need to take a lesson from her.  She is definitely taking it all in stride...I need to choose to take it one day at a time too.  I will try to embrace the honeymoon.

1 comment:

Stacie R said...

life is so precious... I know I take a lot for granted. You all have had so much strength and positivity throughout this.. I honor your strength and courage!