Friday, August 3, 2012

"I Hate Diabetes"

Yesterday while Kaelyn and I were out and about, she had to do a finger poke before she ate.  She very casually said, "I hate diabetes." 

It struck me.  She's been a month into this journey, and for the most part, she handles it non chalantly.  In one month she's gone from crying over a finger poke, to learning how to count carbs, take shots, and evern GIVE herself her own shots.

She truly is a rock star. 

She NEVER complains.  That comment, spoken so innocently from my seven year old superstar, was so sad to me.  She didn't say it in anger, or in spite. It, like so much of this process, just is. 

We talked for a minute about how I hate it too, but that in spite of diabetes, we can embrace life and be thankful for the blessings we have.  It was such a grown up conversation in so many ways, and yet such a profound statement of how she truly feels. 

She is willing to take it in stride, but deep down, she, like me HATES diabetes. 

We are praying for a cure!  But until then, we will live life to the fullest, in spite of diabetes...

Even if we do hate it.

No comments: