As we are almost to Christmas, we have been embracing a new normal. The pump is here. With it comes a new process of guessing, checking, not sleeping, and embracing the change.
None of these things are ever easy for me. But our girl is a trooper.
We went to the pump class on Tuesday, and Kaelyn embraced the pump and was completely unphased by the injector. That was a blessing.
We waited out the days and watched her numbers ebb and flow as well allowed the pump to make corrections and bolus her. (Bolus is giving insulin to cover food or corrections in addtion to the underlying basal rate.)
Trusting that the computer knew more than me was a little strange...and I had a hard time letting go of the control that I felt I was gaining while on shots.
Kaelyn LOVES the fact that she can check her blood sugar and give inslin all via the PDM.
I am excited for her.
The first site...it failed. Started leaking insulin, so ten minutes before girl scouts we were doing our first pod change. Luckily...it was a piece of cake! :)
The next 3 days went well. We did our next pod change today, and that one was a cinch as well.
The numbers...those are not so stable. And me on sleep with wake up alarms every three hours is rough. But...
I am thankful.
For insulin that keeps my girl alive.
For technology that takes her off of shots!
For friends who have walked this road ahead of us and with us.
For a God who is bigger than all of it!
I caught myself choked up yesterday as we let the girls throw coins in a wishing well.
They each had two wishes...
And separatley they both wished for:
1. A cure for Diabetes
2. A fun Christmas.
1. A cure for Diabetes
2. A good birthday for daddy.
Shouldn't 7 and 10 year olds be wishing for puppies and toys and stuff like that?
I am thankful that they are optimistic. I am thankful that Kathryn loves Kaelyn so much that she is hoping for a cure as well!
We are praying for a cure...and we are adapting to our new normal...adapting one day at a time!
No comments:
Post a Comment