Friday, July 30, 2010

The Gift of Great Grandma


Today we went to visit Tim's grandma.  She is 88 years old!  We were reflecting today on the fact that she is 50...yes 50 years older than me!!  She is 80..yes 80 years older than Kathryn.  

I love that Kathryn is named after our precious grandma.  She is getting more frail, but still so warm and always welcoming us into her home.  She LOVES visitors.  I always feel badly that we don't get over there much.

We had spent the afternoon at the park nearby, and then called to see if she'd like some dinner and company.  I asked her what she'd like, and she said a hamburger!

Now..that was easy to deliver.  We had wonderful conversation although many of her questions were re-asked multiple times.  She is still smart as a whip, and remembers very vivid things at times.  She was VERY curious about Tim's fishing expeditions.  She seems to hold on  with interest to every detail.

It's sad in some ways to see her becoming forgetful, and frail.  But I love the sparkle in her eye.  I love her genuine spirit, and her pure love for her family and God.  She is such a special lady.  We are thankful for the gift of her!

I asked her tonight about her favorite memory as a kid.  She told of playing in the ash pile from the fire!  She said they always got in trouble, but she loved it.  She always speaks with fondness of her childhood and her time in Vulcan Canada.  What precious memories...especially when I think about the fact that she is remembering things that happened 80 years ago!  It makes me a little more forgiving of the things she forgets in the present.

I love this woman like my own grandmother.  I am thankful to have a daughter with her namesake.  She is such a gift to us.  We love you Grandma!

No comments: